Monday, January 18, 2010

Noteworthy: Navigating Cancer

At the beginning of the summer I talked about how I wanted to do review posts about cancer resources and things... and then I just sort of let it drop off. Hypothetically, I'm going to pick back up on that. I also hope that you guys check out some of the links on the left hand side of the page, be it the blogs, the banners, or the websites. Doing everything may in fact be overkill, and I'm starting to notice some repetition on who I'm connecting with, but each place seems to hold something a little bit different, so if one site isn't what you are looking for, maybe one of the other sites is.

Today I want to talk about Navigating Cancer. This is new. Just really got off the ground this January, and all I can say is I wash this were around 5 years ago.

I think this is a fantastic site if you are just getting going with cancer and cancer treatment. There's a lot of traditional networking bits, and suggested blog topics and things like that. But what I like most about it is its uses as an organizational tool, and a way to talk to friends and family.

There are daily monitoring applications where you can say how you are feeling. Records sections to keep record your medical records, and print them out whenever you need them. There's a calendar that lets you schedule appointments and events, and let your people know when things are going on.

For me, I am piss poor at trying to tell people how I'm doing and dealing with cancer. Not you people, obviously, but my people. For,what seem to be obvious reasons to me, I don't give out my blog to my friends and family. Its the only place I feel safe that I can be critical of them. And, I get to vent and yell irrationally without worrying about their feelings.

And then, I'm never sure what is important, what to say, or anything. I think there is even an application here that says what you need right now. This would have been fantastic for me. This is a passive worried about being a burden cancer patient's dream tool. I'm going to passively tell you what I need and leave it to one of you to step up and do it.

Even now, as morbid as it sounds, I'm slowly working on filling out all the discussion sections, for other people, who are just starting out their cancer journey, and putting together other bits and pieces, so that, knock on wood, anything else goes wrong, I can automatically direct my friends and family to the site.

There's still little twicks and tweeks that need to be worked out, but so far it looks like it is running smoothly. Probably the biggest problem it might have is that there don't seem to be a lot of people on it yet to be good resources, and have good discussions. But like I said, I don't think this is necessarily the strongest feature on the site.

So give it a check out, Navigating Cancer

No comments: